31 August 2010

Gumnuts on Plastic

The Fantastic Plastic challenge was to create something with plastic. Thought I'd convert one of my sketches that was not too complicated because I had concerns that dense machine stitching might cause tearing or weakness in the plastic.  The plastic is painted on the reverse side with greens, greys, reds and pinks and a touch of brown to create a background for the machine stitching. I placed my initial drawing on a piece of butchers paper underneath so that I knew where to paint  the colours. This paint also stopped the plastic from sticking to the machine and slide through smoothly.  The tops of the flowers are quite densely stitched and I found the stitching warped the plastic in some places but that also added to the effect. But the density didn't tear the plastic.   Size 20 inches x 30 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment