30 August 2010

Wetlands

It took me about two years after seeing my first Quilt Show to actually try "painting with fabric".  After joining the Caloundra Quilters group, I thought I'd better learn about traditional quilting before getting too adventurous and doing my own thing.  Glad I did.  Wetlands was made in 2007 and is meant to capture a moment of peace and tranquility in the teatree swamps. The easiest part was sketching the birds and using that as a template for the pattern.  Fabric isn't as forgiving as paint.  No painting over or changing the shape or dimensions once the fabric is cut.  If I'd thought more about it at the beginning,  I would have made it a small wall hanging instead of a larger quilt of  5ft x 6ft.  It now hangs in my studio on the only section of wall free of cupboards and shelving.

No comments:

Post a Comment