25 April 2011

That Crazy Red Hat

I'd been browsing through some "felters" sites and saw some of the most wonderful, and some of the most weird hats, so I just had to have some fun.   Part of the exercise was to learn how to felt the hat and the ribbons joined together as one piece.  Of course after I'd done it, I thought of all the other places I could have placed the ribbons for better effect instead of on the back.  Isn't it typical! 

The decorative stitching is all cotton perle thread.  It took a bit of time couching the perle onto the thin edges of the hat and ribbons but it gave a nice finished edge. And I just happen to have a bead that had the right colours to match.
The long peak folded in and shaped the crown nicely.  I was going to needle felt the felt ribbons up the side of the hat  but ended up using the decorative stitch to attach them instead.  None of the decorative stitching is visible on the inside of the hat as I pulled the thread through the middle of the felt.

I think I'll have to try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment